See the answers and figure out your score!
1. Who is the youngest ever American League batting champion?
C. Al Kaline
2. Who was the first shortstop to have at least 30 home runs and 30 steals in a single season?
C. Barry Larkin
3. Which of the following single-franchise hitters did NOT finish their major league career with at least a .330 batting average? (1 point for each correct answer- 1 point off for each incorrect answer)
B. Joe DiMaggio
4. Which of these single franchise stars never played in the minor leagues? (1 point for each correct answer- 1 point off for each incorrect answer)
A. Robin Yount, B. Ernie Banks, C. Mel Ott, D. Sandy Koufax – All 4 of these players never played an inning of minor league baseball
5. Which pitcher was throwing in the major leagues before he graduated from high school and is the first pitcher to win 20 games before he turned 21?
D. Bob Feller
6. Who is the only man to play in the Little League World Series, the College World Series, the Olympic Games, the World Baseball Classic and the Major League World Series?
D. Jason Varitek
7. Which player has more career hits than Derek Jeter’s 3,465 total?
C. Stan Musial
8. True or False: Walter Johnson holds the standard for number of 1-0 wins (38) as well as 1-0 losses (27)?
True. Johnson played for Washington known as “First in war, first in peace, and last in the American League.”
9. Which men below never played any other position than backstop in their Major League Baseball careers? (1 point for each correct answer- 1 point off for each incorrect answer)
B. Mike Sciascia, C. Bill Dickey, D. Thurman Munson – Johnny Bench played other positions at the end of his career.
10. Who has the highest career World Series batting average with 50 or more at-bats?
B. Pepper Martin (.418)
11. Who is the ONLY major league player to see combat in two wars?
B. Jerry Coleman
12. Which of these did NOT win the Rookie of the Year award? (1 point for each correct answer- 1 point off for each incorrect answer)
C. Rico Petrocelli
13. Who is the ONLY major leaguer ever to die as a result of a thrown pitch?
C. Ray Chapman
14. Who is the all-time leader in winning percentage among hurlers with at least 100 victories?
D. Spud Chandler
15. Which pitcher had the highest career batting average in Major League Baseball history?
C. Walter Johnson (.433) He went 42-for-97 in 1925.
16. Who is the man with the most All-Star selections (11) by an eligible player NOT in the National Baseball Hall of Fame?
D. Bill Freehan
17. Which of these players grew up in the same hometown as the team they later played for? (1 point for each correct answer- 1 point off for each incorrect answer)
A. Kent Hrbek, B. Ron Oester, C. Frank White, D. Lou Gehrig – Hrbek, Oester, White and Gehrig all played for their true hometown team.
18. Which ballplayer who played shortstop predominantly throughout his career has the most career hits?
A. Derek Jeter
19. Who had the highest career On-Base Percentage – Ted Williams or the tainted Barry Bonds?
Ted Williams (483)
20. Who is the only major league star to be elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame with less than ten years of playing tenure?
C. Addie Joss (died of meningitis the day before the start of his 10th season)
21. Which pitcher holds the major league mark of for consecutive victories with 24?
A. Carl Hubbell
22. Which duo partnered to become the longest standing continuous double-play combo in baseball history?
B. Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker
23. Which one of these single franchise players won the most Rawlings Gold Gloves?
D. Brooks Robinson (16)
24. Hooks Wiltse set the Major League record for Most Consecutive Games Won to start a career in 1904. Which Sacramentan tied that mark?
25. Which single franchise pitcher is the only hurler to lead his league in ERA five consecutive years?
A. Sandy Koufax
26. Which single franchise star has the highest career batting average, starting his career after World War II?
C. Tony Gwynn (.338)
27. Who is the ONLY 20th century Baseball Hall of Famer to start his career as a hitter and make the Hall of Fame as a pitcher?
C. Bob Lemon
28. Who is the ONLY eligible player with 20 years tenure with one franchise exclusively who is NOT in the Baseball Hall of Fame?
B. Mel Harder
TOTAL POINTS SCORE: ___ points out of 35 points